Make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of people each year!
Become part of a growing, committed group of volunteers at the Brandywine Zoo. We invite you to explore the Zoo's volunteer opportunities and docent program. The Brandywine Zoo depends on people like you for support of its commitment to providing excellent care for our animals, a great experience for visitors and a better future for all living things.
continuing education opportunities, training, field trips, making new friends and helping animals and our environment through education.
For more information about our volunteer opportunities, visit www.destateparks.com.
Join us at an upcoming open house
to learn more about our volunteer program and internships
- Education Volunteers (Docent Program)
- Summer Zoo Camp Internships for High School and College Students
- Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Must be at least 14 years old (13 years old if chaperoned by a parent/guardian).
- Must pass a background check.
- If under 18 years old, application and background check must be signed by parent/legal guardian.
- Must attend a required training.
- Must attend volunteer meetings.
- Must adhere to the uniform policy as described in the training course.
- Be friendly, enthusiastic and dependable.
- Do assigned tasks as agreed upon with the Zoo Education Staff.
How to Get Involved!
- Optional: Attend a volunteer open house. See below or visit our calendar of events.
- As a member of Delaware State Parks, all volunteers for the Brandywine Zoo must first apply through DE State Parks. For more information on DE State Parks volunteer program requirements, please visit their webpage.
a. Complete the DE State Parks Volunteer Application. Group leaders should complete this form, too.
b. Volunteers must pass a background check administered by DE State Parks.
- Complete the Volunteer Interest Form, which covers areas of interest and availability.
- Meet and interview with education staff (can be done at open house).
a. Approved volunteers will be then invited to attend new volunteer orientation.
Volunteer Open Houses
October 18 and November 15 | 2pm - 3pm
The Brandywine Zoo Education Department is looking for dedicated individuals 16 years of age and older who are mature, responsible, motivated, knowledgeable, enjoy working with and can engage the public (particularly children), likes the outdoors, and are passionate about the environment and wildlife conservation. Join us on the third Saturday each month listed above to learn more about volunteer opportunities, speak with staff, ask questions about the program, and review the steps to our volunteer application process!
Interested applicants may complete an online Volunteer Application and/or a Volunteer Interest Form if they choose to do so ahead of time. Please note that volunteer opportunities are contingent upon successfully completing application process, including a background check.
For more information please email the zoo at DNREC_Parks_ZooPrograms@state.de.us.
Summer Zoo Camp Internships (ages 14 - through College)
Our summer 2014 season has come to an end and we would like to thank all our dedicated volunteers - thank you! Please be on the lookout in spring when we plan to recruit our interns for summer 2015! For more information or questions, please email DNREC_Parks_ZooPrograms@state.de.us.
For more information and to apply:
Please see our Volunteer Interest Form. Interested applicants may complete and return for further information about our Volunteer Program and to start the application process.