Let the Zoo teach for the day.
The Brandywine Zoo's Zoo School offers on site Zoo Classes or off site Traveling Zoo program that provide school-age children with experiences that are fun and exciting while informational and instructional. These programs include class time where students will meet some of our animals may have activities, lessons and meet an animal or two up close!
Our programs incorporate hands-on, inquiry-based learning opportunities which inspire investigation and stimulate minds. School programs incorporate multidisciplinary lessons, covering science, math, technology, language arts and creative arts.
our 2015-16 program guide for all of our programs and for prices!
Join our Mailing List
Would you like to receive updates about school programs, including new scholarships, events for schools, or lessons? Then click the button to join our mailing list!
Zoo School Program Guide
What program should I book for my group?
A field trip to the Zoo for a standards-based program? Have the Traveling Zoo come to you? Looking for something less structured?
Check out our Zoo School brochure for more detailed information and fees for all our programs or use the table below to help you guide your decision! This guide features Zoo Classes, tours, and outreach (Traveling Zoo).
|WHAT PROGRAM SHOULD I BOOK?|
|Standard & STEM|
|Live Animal Encounter||Tour Only||Traveling Zoo||Special Events for Schools||Group Admission|
|...to visit the zoo||Zoo Classes 65 students at a time. 35 for STEM programs.||✓||Groups of 15-35 at a time.|| ||✓||✓|
|...the zoo to come to us|| || || ||Storybook: up to 35 students per program
Standard: up to 50 students per program
Auditorium (select programs): up to 200 students per program;|| |
|...a program during the school year||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|| |
|...a program during the summer (June-August)||Limited availability in June for schools still in session|| ||✓||✓|| || |
|...a program that meets curriculum standards||✓|| || ||✓||✓|| |
|...an informal program where we can meet some live animals|| || || ||✓|| || |
|...just a tour of the zoo|| || ||✓|| || || |
|...to bring a very large group (more than 50-60) of students all at once. || ||✓|| || ||✓|| |
Need help planning your program? Have a question about what to pick? Visit our Program Planning & FAQ page to help you select the right program for your group.
To register for a program:
- Step 1: Complete Registration Form or a Group Visit Registration Form
- Step 2: Program registrations can be faxed (302-577-7480), mailed (Education Department of the Brandywine Zoo, 1001 N. Park Drive, Wilmington, DE 19802), or emailed (Education@BrandywineZoo.org) to the Education Department.
- Step 3: Someone from the Education Department will check program and staff availability and get back to you within two weeks of your registration. If you do not hear back after this time, please email us.
- Step 4: You will receive a contract with your program date (based on availability) within two weeks of your program registration submission. Please call the Education Department (302-571-7850 *209) if you have not received a confirmation.
- Step 5: Zoo Classes & Group Visits - Submit your 50% deposit for your program to the Brandywine Zoo at the above address with a copy of your contract. Note that Zoo Class and Group Visit reservations are not considered complete until we receive your 50% deposit for your program. Traveling Zoo - payment is due in advance of your program. *Note that a 15 person or $100 minimum is required for all on-site Zoo Classes and Group Visits.
The Brandywine Zoo provides WILD Scholarships for Zoo School education programs, including Traveling Zoo and Zoo Classes.
Find out more or apply today.
Summer Tours & Programs
Group Visits are offered year-round, but are the only on-site programs we offer during the summer (June-August).You have three options to choose from for camps, schools and other groups to visit the zoo between 10am-4pm.
Please visit the Group Visits page for more information or to download a registration form.
Prepare for your trip!
DOWNLOAD our Zoo Preview to help get your students ready for their trip to the zoo! This preview goes over our rules, layout, and animals you'll see during your visit!
Homeschoolers, join us for one of our fun family programs that take place throughout the year! We host a variety of other events as well; visit our calendar of events to see the dates and times of all our fun events.
You are invited to visit the Zoo with your group or on your own. If you have special activities for your students or want to introduce the Zoo in a more informal way, this is the format for you. Call ahead for group rates and visitation information.
If you're interested in simply visiting the zoo with your group, please call 302-571-7850 ext. 214 or email email@example.com for booking group admission rates.
Design Your Own Program
Don't see a program that suites your needs? Please call the Zoo's Education Department at 302-571-7850 ext. 209 and let us help you design your own program.
Participation in our ADOPT* program gives students the opportunity to learn more about wildlife while creating a personal bond with the Brandywine Zoo and its inhabitants.
It's fun, educational and rewarding. By making a class donation of $100 or more, your students will support our education and conservation goals both here at the Brandywine Zoo, as well as around the globe.
Find out more today.
- Visit our Teacher Resources or our Teacher Frequently Asked Questions page
- Email us at Education@BrandywineZoo.org
- Call the Education Department at 302-571-7850 x209
Please include in your message:
- Email Address
- Date and Times
- Program Choice
- Group size, including number of classes, number of students and adults, and age/grade of students.
- Contact information, including email address
- Please advise us of students with special needs when you register.
- Questions about outreach programs or scheduling a zoo visit to your site? Please visit the Traveling Zoo page.